Australian Shepherds Natures:
Australian Shepherds are all about action and activity, especially if the activity involves running behind a ball in a muddy field. Aussie’s endless energy makes it difficult to take care of their coat. As playing infield leads to a coat full of dirt, leaves, and debris.
To make sure your Aussie looks neat, clean and presentable, you need to groom them at least once a week. And, To groom your dog properly and effectively, you need some tools. This is why today we are going to talk about must-have Australian Shepherds grooming tools and how to use them.
When it comes to Australian Shepherds, grooming is a bit of a challenge. The challenge mainly lies in the combination of different types of hair that they have. Following are the kinds of challenges that are faced by the Aussie owners:
Australian Shepherds often have small or large tangles that aren’t easy to manage. Having long hair, either straight or curly, makes it likely for them to tangle up. An easy solution to avoid getting their hair tangled up is to brush their hair regularly. In addition to brushing their hair, the use of conditioners (during their grooming regime) is a must!
Coat Loses its Color:
One of the significant issues which many Aussie owners experience is the faded color of their pet. Do you want your fur baby to have a faded color? Of Course No! You don’t want that. To keep their coat shiny and smooth, you need to groom your pet regularly.
If you are failing to groom your pet, there are high chances of the tangles turning into mats. This is something to need to avoid! The process of getting rid of mats is somewhat painful for your pet. The best you can do to get rid of mats is to either cut them off or use some effective liquidity products.
Australian Dogs shed a lot, and unless you want your furniture, carpets, clothes and your entire house to be covered with the loose hair, you need to get your pet groomed!
Grooming them regularly will help remove all the dirt, debris and the dead hair which will eventually give them a silky and soft coat. For a proper grooming session of your Australian Shepherd, you need proper tools.
Australian Shepherds Grooming Tools
- Deshedding Shampoo
- Detangling Spray/ Diluted Conditioner
- DeShedding Brush
- Deshedding Blade
- Undercoat Rake
- Slicker Brush
- Bristle Brush
- Trimming Scissors
- Nail Clippers
- High-Velocity Dryer
- Dematting Comb
- Greyhound Comb
- Grooming Comb
How to Use The Australian Shepherds Grooming Tools?
Your pet’s grooming regime starts with giving them a bath with an excellent deshedding shampoo and conditioner. This step helps in detangling the rough tangles. Then you may proceed to brush their hair while they are still damp.
You may start with a slicker brush, but keep in mind not to use the slicker brush at the same place for more than three times. Otherwise, this might give your pet a brush burn.
Here is a grooming kit ONLY made for Australian Shepherd that you can use. Which includes Shampoo, Conditioner, Finishing Spray, Brush, and Comb. You are getting many tools in one pack. Time saved!
- Brand: Our Exclusive AFD Bundle
- Contains: Shampoo, Conditioner, Finishing Spray, Brush and Comb
- FREE Bonus ~ 2 -32 oz EZ Measure Mixin' Bottles A $9.98 Value
- Your Australian Shepherd will Look & Feel Awesome!
Afterward, you may use a Bristle brush to take out the remaining loose hair from your pet’s undercoat which might have been missed by the slicker brush.
Thinning scissors and Nail Clippers can be used to fix your pet’s hair around their feet and ears and trim their nails. Lastly, you can use a high-velocity dryer to remove any remaining loose hair.
The use of a Furminator is optional. This tool, although effective, is discouraged by the professionals.
Also Read: 5 Best Brush For Corgi
To loosen up the stubborn tangles, you need to bath your pet with deshedding shampoo. These shampoos are full of extra conditioners and omega oils that help in the removal of the loose hair.
You merely need to bathe your dog with the de-shedding shampoo and leave it on for 10-15 minutes before you rinse the coat and dry it.
This Furminator Shampoo works well in this case. It will soften the hair and smells good and works well for sensitive skin too.
- Furminator deSheddign Ultra Premium Conditioner
- Reduces excess shedding by releasing the undercoat during the bath
- Contains no parabens or chemical dyes
- Enriched with Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, Chamomile Extract and Aloe Vera
The deshedding shampoo takes care of the extra 20 percent of the deshedding that never seems to go away.
A good quality de-shedding tool is necessary for an Aussie when they are shedding, and Furminator is a preferred de-shedding tool by many Aussie owners. This tool has a stainless steel comb-like blade that passes through the dog’s hair and efficiently takes out all the dead and loose hair. It is known to remove 90 percent of your dog’s loose hair.
- Stainless steel deShedding edge reaches through topcoat to safely and easily remove loose hair and...
- FURejector button releases hair with ease
- Ergonomic handle for comfort and easy use
- Remove loose hair without damaging the coat or cutting the skin when used as directed
Furminator also has a self-cleaning button which means you don’t have to take the hair out of the blade.
Happy Dogz Pet Grooming Shedding Brush (Alternative Of Furminator)
For any Australian Shepherd owner who finds Furminator expensive, Happy Dogz Pet Grooming Shedding Brush is easy on the wallet and equally effective. It comes with a stainless steel-toothed blade that effectively removes the loose hair of the dog.
- GET YOURSELF OUT OF A HAIRY SITUATION. Guaranteed to reduce dog and cat shedding by up to 95% in...
- YOUR FURRY BUDDIES WILL SAY, WOW GROOMING IS FUN. Spoiled pet approved and created with their...
- FURRRFECTION IN A BRUSH. The deshedding dog brush to end all dog brushes. It is proven to keep your...
- MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR PET’S LIFE. Highly recommended by vets, professional pet groomers, and...
Unlike many other de-shedding tools by Safari, this can be used for Aussie pups as well. The adjustable comb makes it easy to be used on small size pups. It helps in getting rid of 95 percent of the loose hair in just 15 minutes. We like Safari deshedding brush which has a double-sided stainless steel deshedding blade with easy grip.
- Reduces shedding to keep your dog and home Clean
- Stainless steel blade stays sharp
- Covers large surface area with handles apart
- Best suited for medium to large breeds
The slicker brush by Miracle has metal pins packed into a rectangular head. These pins have been smoothed to avoid causing irritation and brush burn to the pet’s skin. The handle is wide and suitable for a firm grip. The slicker brush works well for both coats, curly and straight.
Slicker Brush is designed to detangle and remove any mats from hair smoothly. The dense pins make detangling of hair and dematting easier. Furthermore, it pulls out any loose hair which otherwise might have landed on your carpet or furniture. Moreover, even the pets seem to enjoy the massage of the slicker brush rather than running away from it.
- Soft pad and angled flexible pins allows for effective grooming without irritating pet's skin
- Use this brush to finish the coat
- Effectively reaches the undercoat on double coated breeds
- The Cushioned and ergonomic designed grip prevents hand and wrist strain
One of the issues with a slicker brush is that it doesn’t have a self-cleaning button and so you have to clean the brush manually. Also, the pins of slicker brush wear down with time so you may need to replace it a new one after every few months. Furthermore, it is not advised to use a slicker brush more than three times over the same spot as it may cause brush burn to your pet.
A Bristle Brush is a vital part of your Shepherds grooming kit. It is step # 3 in an Aussie’s full grooming regime. After you have used the slicker brush, the bristle brush can be used to remove any remaining loose hair from the top of the coat.
- PALM BRUSH FOR DOGS: This dog brush features 50% natural boar & 50% synthetic bristles that move...
- EASY TO USE: ConairPRO Dog & Cat Pet-It brushes are made to fit seamlessly in the palm of your hand....
- PET GROOMING SUPPLIES: Grooming your cat or dog is easy when you have the right tools. We make...
- MADE TO LAST: ConairPRO Dog & Cat pet grooming tools are designed with high-quality materials for...
This brush further helps in oxygenating your pet’s hair and hence adding shine to the outer coat.
An undercoat rake is structured to have two layers of evenly spaced metal teeth that enable it to reach down through the double coat of your fur baby to eliminate dust and debris. It prepares the coat for the deshedding brush or the slicker brush. Furthermore, it stimulated the skin circulation and distributes the nourishing oils through the coat.
- Dog grooming rake removes dead undercoat with minimal cutting
- Creates the look of a hand-stripped finish
- Ideal for medium and large breeds with medium-to-thick undercoats
- Stainless steel blades with rounded ends help prevent skin irritation
Thinning Shears and Scissors
There are two types of thinning scissors you should have for your furry friend’s grooming. The first one is a set of thinning shears. They help you groom your dog quickly without cutting off big chunks of hair. With this set of thinning shear, you are less likely to make a mistake which might compromise your Aussie’s looks. The other one is a set of fine scissors. They are used for trimming the hair around your dog’s feet and ears. They mainly focus on precision.
- 【Titanium coated 3CR Stainless Steel Blades Cut Clean Without Pulling Hair】- These pet grooming...
- 【Complete Dog & Cat Grooming Kits- Straight & curved & thinning Shears & Comb】- Our dog scissor...
- 【Ergonomic Design & Expert Weight to Grooming with Comfort and Less Fatigue 】- These dog...
- 【Adjustable Screw for Tightness or Separating blades for Sharpening and Cleaning】- These dog...
A high-velocity dryer is a vital step in your dog’s grooming. It is specifically designed to remove and blow off all the loose hair from your dog. It is extremely useful as it reduces shedding for up to 2-3 weeks. We love this one.
- ①Output power: 2400W adjustable / Voltage 110/120V
- ②Airflow variable: 65MPH-135MPH, Fits from tiny cats to large breeds
- ③New tech for noise reduction & Two options for heating temperature
- ④Flexible hose can be expanded to 73 inches. Comes with 4 types of nozzles.
Nail clippers are essential in your dog’s grooming regime. You need to trim your pet’s nails regularly to avoid infections. If you fail to trim their nails regularly, there is a high chance they might break on their own which may cause an infection. Secondly, if your pet likes to paw at you or jump, this may be problematic for you.
- ★ RECOMMENDED BY PROFESSIONALS: The Boshel pet nail clipper is an ergonomically designed Powerful...
- ★ CLEAN CUTS EVERY TIME: The pet nail clippers are made out of high quality 3.5 mm thick stainless...
- ★ USER FRIENDLY DESIGN: The professional dog nail clipper is designed to keep you comfortable...
- ★ SAFETY STOP SERVES AS A QUICK SENSOR: The dog grooming clippers is safely Outfitted with a...
These combs come with round scratch-free ends so that your pet doesn’t get hurt. They come with rubber-coated handles which makes it less likely to slip while brushing through your pet’s hair. These combs are known to reach the undercoat of your fur baby which increases the chances of taking out all the dirt and leaves from their coat. Furthermore, they can be used on types of hair, whether straight or curly, long or short.
The size of these combs allows you to reach difficult places such as behind the ears or under the neck. These combs can serve both as a detangler and debris extractor.
Dematting Comb is a great tool to add to your pet’s grooming kit. This comb comes with two types of bristles. One on each side. They offer the high and low density and can be used according to your pet’s hair requirement. Furthermore, it is a multi-purpose tool. Not only can it be used as a dematting tool but it can also be used as a deshedding tool! No wonder it is known to be the professional’s favorite tool.
- SPECIAL OFFER TODAY ONLY ON THE BEST PET COMB ON AMAZON – Over 4000 Positive Customer Reviews 4.5...
- CLEAR ALL DIFFERENT MATS AND TANGLES - Our double sided pet comb has a different number of teeth on...
- MULTIPLE USES WITH JUST ONE COMB – Our pet grooming tool not only works great as a dematting brush...
- A MORE COMFORTABLE AND PLEASANT EXPERIENCE – Our cat and dog brush has sharp teeth to prevent...
Greyhound Comb is known as the “Seek and Destroy” tool by the professional groomers. It is usually used after the slickers brush. Once the slickers brush has been used, a greyhound comb can be used to remove any remaining mats that you may have missed.
These combs tend to break down after a few months but can be replaced with a new one easily as they are very affordable.
The grooming comb has stainless round steel tips and a design where the teeth are closer to each other at one end and wider apart at the other end. The design makes it easier for the owner to use a single tool for the grooming of different areas (whether larger or smaller) of the pet without having to change the tool.
- 2-IN-1 DETANGLER COMB: Simplify the grooming process by using our dual length pet combs for...
- FOR LONG, SHORT HAIR: Unlike the average dog combs for grooming, this one can be used to care for...
- ANTI-SLIP HANDLE GRIP: You don't have to worry about being too cautious when using our pet combs for...
- STAINLESS STEEL TEETH: The long & short teeth featured on this 2-in-1 pet comb with handle are made...
Detangling Spray and Coat Conditioner
Professional groomers usually advise against the brushing of your pet’s hair when they are entirely dry. It causes breaking of hair and discomfort to your pet if you come across tangles or worse, mats. Hence, the groomers advise spraying conditioner that has been diluted with water or detangling spray before you brush your pet’s coat as it makes the detangling process smooth and comfortable for both, the owner and the pet.
- It is a deep conditioner: Penetrates below the surface and restores moisture while strengthening...
- It is concentrated: Pure conditioning, contains no water or alcohol, does not dry hair.
- It is long lasting: Repels dirt, dust, and sand, resulting in a shine that lasts longer. Not oily.
Others Recommended Tools That You Can Use(Optional)
BioSilk Therapy Detangling Plus Shine Protecting Mist (Alternative of Cowboy Detangler)
This spray is very famous among the owners and the pets alike. It is made up of organic elements and is paraben-free. Also, the PH level has been made suitable for your pet.
- Age Range Description: All Stages
Sofee & Co. Natural Dog Conditioner, White Pear (As conditioner)
This product can be used for adult dogs as well as the young pups. It is mainly used to neutralize, remove tangles and calm the itchy skin of your pet. To use it, it needs to dilute in water first.
- DETANGLE, SOOTHE, SOFTEN, MOISTURIZE. LEAVES A SILKY SMOOTH COAT.
- HUMAN GRADE - NO PARABENS, SULFATES, MINERAL OILS, PHTHALATES OR ARTIFICIAL DYES.
- GREAT FOR DRY, ITCHY, FLAKY AND SENSITIVE SKIN AND DOGS WITH SKIN ALLERGIES
- SMALL FAMILY OWNED BUSINESS FOCUSED ON QUALITY AND CARE FOR ALL DOGS.
- Stuff is a unique leave-in hair conditioner and dematting formula thats hypoallergenic and non-toxic
- Formulated with silicon to repel dirt, dust and urine so coats stay cleaner longer
- Conditions and protects a pets coat while removing and preventing tangles
- This concentrated 16-ounces size of the stuff is a ready to use
Above mentioned tools make an essential part of a grooming kit of an Australian Shepherd. These tools help the owner in eliminating dust, debris, and leaves from your Aussie’s coat. Hence, your pet can have a shiny, silky and smooth coat. In addition to maintaining the beauty of your pet, they help in keeping it free of infections and germs.