Rhodesian Ridgeback is usually a medium-large dog breed with origins from the southern part of Africa. Back in Southern Africa, it was bred to hunt down lions and other wild beasts around them hence the name ‘African Lion Hounds’.
It won’t be gainsaying if one refers to this dog breed as one of the incredible breeds around. Determination, power, and durability; these are words that best fit the Rhodesian Ridgeback. Cheers to everyone with a Rhodesian friend. We will be sharing with you some of the best dog food for Rhodesian Ridgeback.
RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK’S DIET REQUIREMENTS
For someone who owns a Rhodesian Ridgeback, understanding its diet will go a long way to help keep the dog healthy. Of course, all dogs have the same nutritional needs – at least, one the basic level. However, the Rhodesian Ridgeback is quite different; while there are dogs that are relatively fat and muscular, the Rhodesian Ridgeback is on the other hand: thin and muscular.
What this simply means is that it will require lots of protein. The protein is meant to help with healthy body weight (or at least, to help maintain it). Fat, on the other hand, helps with a concentrated source of energy.
Rhodesian Ridgeback Diet requirements
Puppy Rhodesian Ridgeback Diet
Adult Rhodesian Ridgeback Diet
Senior Rhodesian Ridgeback Diet
Rhodesian ridgebacks are usually at risk for obesity when their metabolism slows down. This is why you need to feed it a little. You could also switch to a healthier weight formula. Always go for a senior weight formula too; all of these will help protect your dog health-wise.
Dog food is of quality if it contains the necessary level of fat, carbohydrate, and protein. Always lookout for the basic requirements for these three (protein, fats, and carbohydrates). Speaking of quality food, you can also try supplements, vegetables, and fresh fruits. Vegetables and Fresh fruits are natural sources of essential nutrients.
Rather than opting in for synthetic supplements, veggies and fruits are more valuable to your dog’s health. To help to soothe your dog’s digestibility, and probiotics should be at the top of the list; they are good for healthy digestion. Chondroitin and Glucosamine provide support for your dog’s joint.
Rhodesian Ridgeback Feeding Chart
Rhodesian Ridgeback Puppy
Adult Rhodesian Ridgeback
Senior Rhodesian Ridgeback
Must Have Ingredients for Rhodesian Ridgeback Food
Like we said earlier, ridgebacks are also needed quality food. When you feed your dog with a cheap dog meal, you are bound to get poor results. From omega 3 fatty acids to Folic acids, some ingredients shouldn’t be missing from your dog’s food.
- Folic Acid
One of the must-have ingredients for Rhodesians Ridgebacks is Folic Acid. Especially for the adult female Ridgebacks. It is known to help protect the puppies from Dermoid Sinus; a condition known to affect the canine’s spine. Raising their chances of being infected with other diseases such as ulcers and meningitis.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acid
Just as we stated earlier, omega 3 fatty acid is an essential piece to premium-quality dog food. To help maintain a healthy heart, omega 3 fatty acid is needed. It also ensures that the dog food is well equipped to keep the canine’s heart at the optimal level.
5 Best Dog Food For Rhodesian Ridgeback With Details
- Contains high in protein
- Low in fat
- soya, corn, wheat, and grain-free
- Improve eyesight
- Good for a healthy digestive system
- Good for dog with allergy and sensitive stomach
- Blue Buffalos are relatively expensive then others.
- It has low calories.
- The Taste of the Wild is grain-free.
- Great for controlling your dog’s weight.
- It is rich in chelated minerals, fatty acids, prebiotics, probiotics, carbohydrates, and animal proteins.
- The primary source of fat is canola oil (plant-based).
- It also contains potato and pea protein, which are both plant proteins.
- Contains plant proteins. So, not ideal for all Rhodesian Ridgebacks
- It contains natural ingredients
- It is highly digestible
- The chicken ingredients may not be edible for dogs that are sensitive to chicken ingredients
- It is not grain-free
- The Solid Gold – Wolf king, is holistic, which makes it great for dogs with allergies.
- Made in the United States.
- Great for Rhodesian Ridgebacks with skin irritations.
- It is low in calories.
- The solid gold wolf – the king is a great choice for weight control.
- It is relatively expensive.
- Dermoid Sinus
- Heart Disease
How many Calories Does a Rhodesian Ridgeback Need?
Food Rhodesian Ridgebacks are Allergic to